Molasses Sugar Cookies
Crisp on the outside and delightfully chewy on the inside, these Molasses Sugar Cookies are packed with flavor and perfect with a tall glass of milk.
Happy Spring! It’s that time of year when you don’t know if it’s going to be 70 degrees or snowing outside. Here in Lancaster County, PA, we’ve had a few teaser days when it’s been gorgeous outside–and my family has eaten up those days! We had a neighborhood game of wiffle ball going the one day, with yours truly as steady pitcher 😉 . It was a lot of fun and got us all excited for those warmer days ahead. As I was in the kitchen working on a recipe this week, the weather kind of dictated this recipe. It’s been cold, rainy, and just not very nice outside this week. When the weather is like that, all you want to do is stay inside where it’s warm and cozy. So what better cookie to eat than a molasses cookie!
I was looking back through the recipes we’ve done here on the blog, and can you believe there’s only two molasses cookie recipes featured! For a molasses company, we’ve got to change that! The first recipe we did is super yummy and was submitted by a customer and features our blackstrap molasses. The second molasses cookie recipe is a double ginger one that’s also very yummy. This molasses sugar cookie recipe as well as the double ginger one has our Supreme Baking Molasses in it, which is still a robust flavored molasses–it’s just sweeter than blackstrap. So experiment and see which cookie recipe you like best! Sounds like good weekend plans to me. 😉
The batter comes together quickly, but you need a bit more time to let the batter sit in the fridge. So remember that–the original recipe calls for at least 3 hours or overnight. Then if you do chill it for several hours, let it sit on the counter for a bit before you start to scoop it out. I got quite the arm workout as I forgot that little detail. 🙂
These cookies have 4 teaspoons of baking soda in them, resulting in a puffier cookie. Chilling the batter also helps the batter to not spread a ton during baking.
If you’re looking for a classic molasses sugar cookie recipe, this one is hard to beat. It’s full of all those classic warm flavors like cloves, ginger, and cinnamon. Paired with the molasses…they’re simply delicious. And that texture! Crisp on the outside and chewy in the middle–just like you remember molasses cookies being.
Store these cookies in an airtight container. If they harden over a couple days, simply place a piece of bread in the container. That’ll soften the cookies right up.
Try these molasses sugar cookies today. You’re sure to love them!
- 1 1/2 cups Golden Barrel Coconut Oil in soft-solid state
- 2 cups Golden Barrel organic cane sugar (plus more for dipping)
- 1/2 cup Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- In a bowl attached to a stand mixer (or with a hand mixer), cream together coconut oil, sugar, and molasses for several minutes until creamy. Add eggs and mix for a couple more minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and salt. With mixer on low, gradually add dry ingredients to batter until just combined. Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- Remove batter from fridge and let set on counter for 30 minutes or so. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Using a cookie scoop (or spoon), scoop out batter and roll into walnut-sized balls. Dip tops/sides in reserved sugar and bake for 8-10 minutes.
Love love love!
This is the best cookie I’ve ever eaten. Love it and have shared it many times.