Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
Pumpkin and cream cheese–two flavors that belong together. Classic. Delicious. This simple cake is sure to put you in the mood for all things fall.
The cake itself is sweetened mostly with Golden Barrel Organic Light Brown Sugar. And it’s made with Golden Barrel Coconut Oil to help keep it deliciously moist. I made the cake part up a couple days ahead, which not only enhanced the flavor, but made for an already prepped dessert. Then when it was time to dig in, I whipped up the icing and it was DONE. Nothing like easy desserts!
And let’s talk about that icing. Yum. Cream cheese and butter. So creamy and rich. It might be my favorite type of icing ever. I remember as a little girl licking off the icing of carrot cakes–I couldn’t get enough. There’s a thick layer of this goodness on top of the pumpkin cake layer. It really is divine!
I baked my cake in a 9×13 baking dish but I think it’d be fun as cupcakes too. Next time!
Simple, delicious, fall-like: it’s sure to be a favorite in your house as it is in mine!
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup Goolden Barrel Organic Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Golden Barrel organic cane sugar
- 1 cup Golden Barrel Coconut Oil, melted
- 15 oz pumpkin puree
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4-6 cups powdered sugar, more or less based on preference
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. Beat together eggs, sugars, oil, and pumpkin puree in the bowl of a stand mixer. Slowly add in dry ingredients a little at a time, until just combined. Pour into greased 9x13 pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until set. Cool completely.
- Beat softened cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until well blended. Slowly beat in powdered sugar and beat until nice and fluffy. Spread icing over cooled cake and refrigerate until ready to serve. Keep leftovers in the fridge.