Oatmeal Jam Bars
The perfect breakfast-on-the-go, or little snack to hold you over, these oatmeal jam bars are easy to make and even easier to eat. 😉
I make a lot of oatmeal in our house. I’ve been eating oatmeal for breakfast pretty much every day for the last few months, and my boys like it too. Typically loaded with frozen berries, I cook mine on the stove and sprinkle on a healthy dose of cinnamon and top it off with some maple syrup. I tell my boys that it’s the kind of breakfast that will keep them satisfied till lunch. And it really is. Whenever I have cereal, I’m always starving in like an hour. Oatmeal fills ya up and it’s just so yummy.
My guys also love baked oatmeal. Sometimes when I don’t feel like making it, I buy it from a local grocery store that makes it fresh that morning. As a matter of fact, when I see that Eby’s Store (said local grocery store) has some, I just pick it up and we eat it for dinner. That’s actually what we’re having tonight and my boys will be so excited! (It doesn’t take much. 😉 )
So it’ll come as no surprise that my boys loved these bars. They enjoyed them as an after-school snack. It’s a perfect little treat and one that holds them off till dinner, which when you have three growing boys, is a feat.
Easy to mix together in one bowl, the oatmeal part is first pressed into a pan, then there’s a layer of jam in the middle, with the rest of the oatmeal crumbs sprinkled on top. You can’t get much easier. I used strawberry jam, because that’s what I had on hand, but I’m excited to try these bars in all different kinds of jam. I also added some fresh lemon zest to the jam just to add some freshness and balance out the sweetness of the strawberries. It was a delicious combination.
So if you’re looking for a tasty little treat or a quick breakfast, try these oatmeal jam bars this weekend! You’re sure to love them.
- 1/2 cup Golden Barrel Organic Light Brown Sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 8 oz. jar jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8" pan with Golden Barrel coconut oil and line with parchment paper. Optional: Scoop jam into small bowl and grate fresh lemon zest on top, mix to combine.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt and oatmeal. Add in melted butter and stir until mixed and crumbly. Take about 2 cups of the oatmeal mixture and press into prepared pan. Spread jam onto crust, spreading to about 1/4" from edge. Sprinkle remaining oatmeal crumbs on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool before cutting into bars.