Pumpkin Scones with Molasses Glaze
Hi again and hope you are ready for some Fall deliciousness coming your way!
Pumpkin spice season has officially begun and I’m over here dreaming of cooler weather down in Texas! It may still be in the upper 80’s but I finally cracked open the canned pumpkin puree and had to bake! When you think of Fall, you automatically think of cozy sweaters, warm spices and pumpkin of course!
I don’t know why I’ve always loved Fall, since I’ve only experienced it maybe twice in my life, growing up in Florida doesn’t help with seeing the change of seasons! But the first time I visited Boston, MA it was late October and SO beautiful with all the trees changing colors, since then I have always dreamt of living somewhere with cooler weather!
So today, to kick off the pumpkin obsession of mine, we’re starting with scones. These are moist and have the perfect amount of spice in them. Of course, these are fantastic with coffee or tea in the morning, but it’s 11 at night and I’m still nibbling on them! The Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses gives it a rich, deep flavor and also adds a bit of sweetness to the scone, just enough that it keeps you wondering what the ingredients are!
Scones on the other hand, are so versatile. Baked with jams inside, cheese, you name it, and it will probably come out awesome. For these particular scones, I made a delicious molasses glaze to go on top, with a hint of maple syrup for that warm gooey sensation when you think of maple syrup… Mmmm….
I hope you enjoy this Pumpkin Scones with Molasses Glaze recipe and get to spice it up a bit! I have added quite a bit of cinnamon because I don’t think you can ever really have enough, personal opinion.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Golden Barrel Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 stick cold butter cubbed
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 tbsp cream or milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 tbsp Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 6-8 tbsp milk
- In a bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Mix well.
- Add the light brown sugar and work in the butter just until the mixture is unevenly crumbly; it's OK for some larger chunks of butter to remain unincorporated.
- Then add the liquid ingredients: pumpkin puree, cream and the egg. Mix until just combined.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- You can then transfer the dough to a floured surface and lightly form into a square shape. Using a knife or bench cutter, cut into 8 wedges.
- For best texture and for the scones to rise when you bake them, freeze for 30 minutes before baking. This will give the dough time to rest and the butter to cool down for a nice flaky scone.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. While the scones are baking, make the Molasses Glaze.
- In a small bowl, add the powdered sugar, molasses, maple syrup and milk. Whisk well until there are no lumps. Set aside or store in a zip-lock until scones have cooled after baking.
- Serve scones warm with the Molasses glaze drizzled on top. Enjoy with your favorite tea or coffee!