Pumpkin Cookies with Brown Butter Cream Cheese Icing
Ultra moist, delicious pumpkin cookies with an amazingly flavorful icing: these pumpkin cookies with brown butter cream cheese icing are what fall days are made of. Each and every bite brings you back to the cozy days of sweatshirt weather, beautiful changing leaves, and the comforting flavors of fall.
Well I suppose it’s officially fall! Although, in most parts of the country, it doesn’t feel like it at all. I have one brother that lives in Greenville, SC, and he sent a picture of the dashboard of his car that stated the temperature outside was a scorching 95 degrees. Yikes! It’s not that bad here in PA; the promise of fall is in the air. The temperatures have dropped a bit and I’m loving every minute of it. I’m a fall girl through and through. There’s just something about the temperatures cooling that makes me crave all the cozy tastes that I associate with this time of year. I had my first sips of fresh apple cider yesterday and it was glorious. Ahhh…I love this season!
Of course when I think of fall baking, pumpkin is pretty much the first thing that pops into my mind. And I’m a big fan of pumpkin desserts. As a matter of fact, I was looking at the blog the other day and there’s quite a few pumpkin recipes on here (like these bars, these bundt cakes, this cake, and this French toast. You can search more pumpkin recipes by typing in the “search recipes” tab on the top right.) I suppose I just can’t get enough pumpkin-flavored treats!
Let’s talk about these cookies. You guys. They’re everything you want in a pumpkin cookie–super moist (i.e. not dried out…there’s not much worse than a dry pumpkin cookie), packed with pumpkin flavor, touched with the sweetness of brown sugar, cinnamon…I mean, I could go on and on about how good the actual cookie part is. BUT THEN it doesn’t stop there. This icing…man oh man. It really is the perfect accompaniment to that tasty cookie bottom. First of all, it’s made with not just butter, but brown butter, which adds its own unique taste to anything with which you pair it. When thinking about and planning out this recipe, I knew I wanted a brown butter icing but also pumpkin and cream cheese are perfect together so why not marry those two flavors together? Hence the creation of this here icing: brown butter AND cream cheese together in one deliciously creamy and multi-layered flavoring. You take a bite and savor the flavors–the brown butter creates a nutty, almost caramel flavor, and the cream cheese brings that familiar seasonal taste to your taste buds. All-in-all, these cookies might be the best thing you consume this season. I’m not shooting high or anything. 😉 But seriously, these must be made and enjoyed by you, lovely reader, some time this fall. And if you’re feeling generous, share some with a neighbor. They’re bound to make their day too. 🙂
Pumpkin cookies with brown butter cream cheese icing: it’s a match made in autumnal heaven.
- 6 Tbsp butter, divided
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp half and half (or milk)
- Brown the butter: Take 1/4 cup (4 Tbsp) of butter and melt it in a saucepan on top of the stove over medium heat. Stir until you see brown bits appear (about 10 minutes) and the butter has a nutty smell to it. Remove from heat and let cool for about 20 minutes.
- In a bowl attached to a stand mixer, take remaining 2 Tbsp of butter, brown butter, and cream cheese and mix until light and creamy, several minutes.
- With mixer on low speed, gradually add in confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract, and half and half. Add a little half and half in at a time until you reach your desired creaminess. Beat for 2 more minutes until light and fluffy.
- When cookies are completely cooled, spread icing on top. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
I am allergic to coconut, what can I use instead?