Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Delightful peanut butter cookies loaded with chocolate chunks: these quintessential cookies are the ones that are perfect after a long day with a tall glass of milk.
Is there any flavor combination loved more than peanut butter and chocolate? It’s a combo that’s been a favorite of so many for so long. Reese’s got it right when it paired these two delicious flavors together. And these cookies are no exception. The peanut buttery cookies are flavorful as-is, then when chocolate chunks are added, they’re just the total package.
Thrifting is one of my favorite past times. And when I go thrifting, I often peruse the book aisle to see if there are any cookbooks on the shelves. You’ll typically find the generic Betty Crocker-type cookbooks but sometimes you’ll stumble upon one that’s different–old, but in a good way. That’s what happened the other week for me. I picked up a cookbook entitled Lanc. Co. Amish Cookbook (you can find it here on Amazon). It’s chock-full of Lancaster County recipes (over 1,000 recipes!) that are non-fussy and stick-to-your-ribs good. So it was a no-brainer to buy it. The thing about old cookbooks though is that there’s nothing fancy to them. No shiny glossy-paged pictures to whet your appetite; just simple ingredients that most everyone has in their pantry. Often, though, you have to fill in the gaps that are missing–instructions here and there, sometimes even missing ingredients. (One peanut butter cookie recipe I read didn’t even have peanut butter listed in the ingredient! Oops!) But once you get past all that, there are some tried and true recipes in there.
Of course with all recipes, you can adjust as needed. Whenever shortening or vegetable oil is listed, I easily swap that out for coconut oil. In this cookbook, many recipes call for lard! I don’t have any of that on hand, so of course I use Golden Barrel Coconut Oil. That’s what I did in this recipe.
This recipe in the cookbook is called Double Treat Cookies but I think Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk is a good name too. 🙂
So if you’re looking to whip up a batch of cookies this weekend, look no further. These cookies are super delicious!
- 1 cup Golden Barrel Coconut Oil in a soft-solid state
- 1 cup Golden Barrel organic cane sugar
- 1 cup Golden Barrel Organic Light Brown Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2-2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks or chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium-sized bowl, measure out dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl attached to a stand mixer (or with a hand mixer), cream together coconut oil and sugars until light and creamy, several minutes.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, and vanilla extract and mix for 2 more minutes. Add in peanut butter and mix until creamy and smooth.
- With mixer on low speed, gradually add in dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chunks. With a medium-sized cookie scoop, scoop out dough onto cookie sheets about 2" apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Let cool on sheet for about 10 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely. Store in airtight container.