Paleo Chocolate Chip Scones
These Paleo Chocolate Chip Scones are perfect with a cup of coffee or as a afternoon snack. A fun treat that is gluten free, dairy free, and naturally sweetened.
A few years ago I asked my husband what treat he would like me to bake for him. Out of nowhere he said scones! I was shocked and I didn’t think he even knew what a scone was! I whipped some up and he loved them. Since then, we have cleaned up our diets so the recipes have to change. That doesn’t mean no scones, just ones with better ingredients.
Enter: Paleo Chocolate Chip Scones. They are made with almond flour so they’re gluten free, sweetened with coconut sugar which is low glycemic, and use Golden Barrel Coconut Oil so they are dairy free. But, they are still so delicious that my husband was tempted to eat the whole batch.
Here is what the dough looks like before baking. Kind of like 2 giant chocolate chip cookies! Try to get them as even as possible. Then cut in half, and each half in thirds. Spread them apart on the cookie sheet, and bake!
Above is what they look like when they come out of the oven. Simple and pretty. Then I drizzled some more chocolate on and below is what they look like. The chocolate drizzle isn’t a must, but why not? It makes them even prettier and adds just a touch more sweetness.
When I made these I was super happy with how they looked, but the inside wasn’t crunchy/dry like a traditional scone. I was conflicted whether I should remake them or not which is when I asked my Instagram friends. The vast majority said soft on the inside is okay. One reader even said she thinks scones can sometimes be too dry so a softer one would be nice. Yay! So- no, these aren’t break-your-teeth crunchy, but they are still good dipped in coffee if that’s your thing. We had some kids over and they happily enjoyed them, having no clue they were healthy.
They are good for breakfast, they are good for dessert, and they are good for a snack. Really, there is no going wrong with these scones.
They are super easy to make. Even if you have never made a scone I promise you can do it. They are easier than cookies because they don’t spread. I think you will love them!
- 2 3/4 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup almond butter, unsalted and unsweetened
- 1/4 cup Golden Barrel Coconut Oil room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/2 cup dairy free mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup additional dairy free chocolate chips for the drizzle, optional
- Preheat the oven to 325° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, and salt. Stir well.
- In a measuring glass or microwavable bowl, combine almond butter and coconut oil. Microwave until smooth and melted- about 30-60 seconds depending on your microwave. Add this mixture to the dry mixture and stir.
- Add the eggs and almond milk to the mixture and stir well, until no dry spots remain. Stir in the mini chocolate chips.
- Divide dough into 2 equal balls and place on the sheet tray. Press each ball into a 6 inch circle that is about 1 inch thick. Cut each one into 6th's (halves, then thirds) and carefully separate them out on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until they are lightly brown. Let cool.
- For the drizzle, melt additional chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring every 15 seconds until completely melted. Drizzle over cooled scones.
Do you think I could make this dough up the night before & keep it in the fridge to bake fresh in the morning to save time?
Hi Jaime- Yes, I think that would work great. Enjoy!