Lemon Whoopie Pies with Strawberry Buttercream Filling
Light, fresh-tasting, and easy to make, these lemon whoopie pies with strawberry buttercream filling are perfect for these warmer days that are (hopefully) here to stay. They come together quickly with the use of a box cake mix and are handy whenever your sweet tooth craving comes around.
The other day I was in the mood to bake something but soon realized I had no flour in my canister on the counter (still don’t!) I opened my pantry doors and saw I had a yellow cake mix and thought maybe I could come up with something with that. I’m always looking for/making things for my boys’ lunches so I thought whoopie pies would be the perfect thing!
My middle son, Bryce, was home “sick” from school so we worked on this recipe together. It was fun to bake with him again. We wanted something springy to match the weather we were having so we came up with a lemon whoopie pie with strawberry buttercream filling. And they are delicious! This might be my go-to way to make whoopie pies from here on out.
The cake part is deliciously light and crumbly–exactly what you want in a whoopie pie. And the strawberry buttercream is made with butter, confectioners’ sugar, and strawberries–simple but so tasty.
To the cake mix, we added Golden Barrel Coconut Oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice and zest, and a little bit of sour cream. The lemon flavor is subtle (but you can definitely taste it) and really pairs well with the strawberry filling. I love the combination of lemon and strawberry–it just tastes so fresh.
So why don’t you welcome spring with these whoopie pies! They’re easy, delicious, and make the perfect snack (and are even better paired with a glass of cold milk.)
Light, fresh-tasting, and easy to make, these lemon whoopie pies with strawberry buttercream filling are perfect for these warmer days. They come together quickly with the use of a box cake mix and are handy whenever your sweet tooth craving comes around.
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1/2 cup Golden Barrel Coconut Oil, melted
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 4 cups Golden Barrel confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh (or frozen) strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. In a bowl attached to a stand mixer, mix together cake mix, coconut oil, sour cream, and lemon juice/zest until just combined. Scrape down bowl and mix for another 30 seconds.
- Using a teaspoon or small/medium scoop, scoop batter onto prepared pans, making sure to leave plenty of room in between (this batter will spread). Bake for 9-12 minutes or until middles are set and edges begin to brown slightly. Let cool on baking sheet for a few minutes then remove whoopie pies onto cooling rack to cool completely.
- In a food processor, pulse strawberries 5-10 times until finely chopped. Set aside.
- In a bowl attached to a stand mixer (or with hand mixer), cream together butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add in strawberries and beat for another minute. Spread filling on to one side of the whoopie pie and sandwich together another side to make a whole whoopie pie. Wrap in Saran Wrap. Can be stored at room temperature if eaten within a few days, otherwise store in refrigerator (or freeze).