Lemon Blueberry Cornmeal Cakes
These lemon blueberry cornmeal cakes are the perfect summertime dessert. Whether for a mid-day snack or a light dessert after dinner, they are sure to put a smile on your face!
I think I’ve mentioned it before, but I just love lemon desserts. Some women are chocoholics, but for me, I’d almost choose a lemon dessert any day over chocolate. Of course it depends on the day…I still do love me some chocolate. 😉 But there’s just something about the fresh taste of lemon. And these cakes definitely have that fresh flavor. There’s lemon juice, zest, as well as a few drops of lemon essential oil in them–they’re delightful! And paired with blueberries, you just can’t get a much fresher-tasting dessert than this.
They’re just the right size too. I baked mine in six little ramekins and had some batter left over that I put in a glass prep bowl and baked in there. I just think individual-portioned desserts are the cutest but if you don’t have any oven-safe mini dishes, you can make this in a loaf pan as well. Either way, this is a dessert you need to make. I keep thinking it’d be the perfect dessert when you invite some girl friends over. This just seems like a girl friend dessert, doesn’t it? And I have some friends in mind who love lemon stuff just as much as I do…perhaps a girls’ night is in order soon. 🙂
I found this recipe on King Arthur Flour’s website and thought the addition of cornmeal was interesting. I didn’t know how I felt about it at first, but after tasting these cakes, it’s a lovely addition. The texture the cornmeal brings makes this cake taste almost like a sweet cornbread muffin but more moist with the addition of those juicy blueberries. I used frozen blueberries because that’s what I had on hand, but I can’t wait to use fresh berries here soon.
And that glaze–oh my! It’s the perfect addition to these lightly-sweetened cakes. With fresh-squeezed juice as well as zest in it, this glaze just enhances the lemon flavor going on here. So if you’re a lemon fan like me, these cute little cakes will make your day, I promise. Try them today!
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup Golden Barrel organic cane
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or plain (not Greek) yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 4-5 drops food-grade lemon essential oil or 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup Golden Barrel Coconut Oil, melted
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup Golden Barrel confectioners' sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice add more juice if glaze is too thick
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 6-8 ramekins or small baking cups.
- Combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt) in a large bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Whisk together buttermilk, eggs, lemon oil, juice, zest, and coconut oil until combined.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Using a greased 1/3 cup, scoop batter into prepared ramekins and bake for about 25 minutes or until edges are golden brown and centers are firm to the touch. Let cool on baking rack.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and zest until smooth, adding more sugar or juice as needed. Glaze shouldn't be too runny. Drizzle glaze onto cooled cakes.
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour.