Chewy Coconut Cookies
Soft, chewy, with a wonderful coconut flavor and texture, these chewy coconut cookies are perfect for any coconut lover out there.
Sometimes you just need a simple cookie recipe with an unfussy but delicious flavor to get you through the day. And that’s exactly what these cookies are. We love coconut here at our house and when I asked the boys what kind of cookie I should make for an after-school treat, they all agreed upon coconut. These cookies are perfectly chewy–and stay that way for days after you bake them. That’s due in part to the coconut oil that’s in them. I used both coconut oil and butter for the fat in these cookies and I love the contribution they both have. You can’t beat butter’s flavor and conversely coconut oil adds that soft chewy texture that makes cookies so irresistible.
Texture. That’s what my oldest son commented on first when he took a bite of this cookie (can you tell we watch cooking shows together? 😉 ). And it’s true. The texture from the shredded coconut as well as the chewiness of the cookie base…it all comes together for a delightful first (and second and third!) bite.
The sweetener in these is brown sugar. It just adds a subtle underlying depth that’s super delicious.
Sure, I thought about drizzling these with chocolate, which on another day I might have done, but again I was just craving a pure coconut flavor when I made these. But if you’re a major chocolate lover, feel free to dip or drizzle these in chocolate.
I found this recipe in an old Mennonite cookbook and adapted it for today. So it’s a tried and true recipe with just a little tweaking that I’m sure you’ll love. Give them a try if you’re like me and love coconut!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Golden Barrel Coconut Oil in a soft-solid state
- 2 cups Golden Barrel Light Brown Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 cups grated unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl attached to a stand mixer (or with a hand mixer), cream together butter, coconut oil, and brown sugar until light. Add in eggs, water, vanilla and coconut extracts and beat until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients: flour, salt, soda, cream of tartar. Slowly add dry ingredients to creamed ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in shredded coconut.
- Using a cookie scoop (I used a medium-sized one), scoop out dough onto cookie sheets, spaced 2-3" apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Cool on tray for 10 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely. Store in airtight container.